Memorial Day is all about spending time with friends and family. Food + drink play a huge part in that, so we rounded up some ideas to help your hosting game this weekend.
Fried Squash Blossoms are delicious. Especially with a Goose Island Beer Batter. Enough said.
Cherry Tomatoes stuffed with Bulgur Wheat Tabbouleh are another crowd favorite at our summer events. They're fresh and fun to pop in your mouth.
FRIED SQUASH BLOSSOMS
- 8 zucchini blossoms, stamens removed
- 4 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoon milk or heavy Cream
- 1-2 tablespoon bdp local honey
- 1 pinch fresh lavender, a pinch chopped, some reserved for garnishing plate 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 bottle goose Island 312 or similar, drink the other 1/4
1. Carefully remove stamens from squash blossoms.
2. Put 1" of oil in heavy frying pan and heat to about 350 degrees.
3. In a bowl, combine goat cheese, milk/cream, honey, a pinch of lavender, salt. Transfer filling to a ziplock or piping bag and cut the tip off. Carefully squeeze the mixture into the blossom and twist the petals to seal the cheese inside.
4. In another bowl, whisk the flour and beer together. Holding the stem, dip the blossom into the beer batter to fully coat. Gently put up to 4 blossom into the hot oil at a time, gently turning them over after 30 -45 seconds. Fry until golden.
5. Put fried blossom on on a paper towel or wire rack to remove excess grease.
6. Sprinkle with lavender flowers. Garnish plate with purple basil. Don't over do it with the lavender!
Adding fruit to your drinks + dishes creates a summer vibe immediately. From left to right we have a Ruby Red Trout with Citrus and Fennel, Peach Bourbon Smash Cocktail, and a Sugar Baby Watermelon Salad.
You have to include corn. We brushed ours with herbs + lime butter. Beets are also coming in season. Roast them and serve with mascarpone. Find the recipe below.
- 1/2 lb each merlin, chioggia, golden + bulls blood beets (greens trimmed off + rinsed)
- 1 lb fresh peaches, halved w/ stone removed
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 1 each lemon, juice + zest
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 T canola oil
1) Toss beets in oil + salt separately
2) Roast each kind of beet in its own pan until tender at 350 degrees (about 25-30 mins for baby beets)
3) Peel the skin off the beets while they are still hot and set aside
4) In a small mixing bowl fold zest + juice of one lemon + one teaspoon of kosher salt w/ mascarpone
5) Heat grill on high
6) Place peach halves on grill charring both sides (about one minute per side)
7) Cut peaches + beets into bite size pieces
8) Plate salad w/ mascarpone on bottom of plate
9) Place beets + peaches on mascarpone + sprinkle w/ fresh mint